- the quality or state of being original
- ability to think or express oneself in an independent and individual manner; creative ability.
- freshness or novelty, as of an idea, method, or performance
The Artistic Perspective:
The term “Originality” has become an important view in B-Boying today. It relates specifically to the artistic and creative approach to B-Boying. It can be the most opinionated category at first glance. Below is a formulated way to limit bias and personal opinion.
First the judge must be able to determine the 3 components of a B-Boy which can be made to be original:
- “Character” – A B-Boy can have a character that is individual to him alone, even though his style or moves is basic or universal.
- “Style”- A B-Boy’s style can be individual to himself alone, even though his character and moves are generic or universal, through the uniqueness or choice of steps which together expresses an individual style.
- “Moves” – A B-Boy’s moves can be unique, although his style and character is basic and generic.
- “Concepts” – Since many moves and styles have already been done, it is concepts that are infinite and can show a great level of originality. Concepts usually tell a story in the context of B-Boying. This is usually done in two ways.
- By telling a story through action in the context of B-Boying.
Example: A B-Boy does a burn where he cuts open his opponents stomach, pulls out the intestines, then uses it as a rope to lasso in his partner into a commando.
- By a series of moves, steps or styles that show a mathematical equation.
Example: A B-Boy brushes off his foot in his footwork, then starts brushing off his foot in power moves, goes into a freeze and brushes off his foot.
An originality judge should have a wide vocabulary of the universal moves such as power, transitions and freezes, so that they can best determine if the moves have been flipped.
BITING= is a universal term that relates to the complete copying of a move without flipping or making fresh. There are not penalties for biting, however, no merits are awarded to the style or move in which is deemed as a BITE.
REPEATING = The originality judge must take into account repeating. If a person comes out with the same thing without adding something new, then the same moves or concepts cannot be counted.
CONTEXT= Originality can only be counted if it’s in the context of Breakin if the following is displayed:
- A variation of universal steps or moves in Breakin
- Flavor + Formula displayed
- Dynamically (Strength, Speed, Balance, Explosive Energy, Flexibility, Risk of Injury, Complexity, Mastery)
- As a Response
PERFECT = 5 points
A CLEARLY creative (or unique) Character, Style, Moves and / or Concepts, from the beginning to the end of the entire round.
GOOD = 4 points
A “CLEARLY” creative (or unique) Character, Style, Move and / or Concept, but NOT throughout the entire round
AVERAGE = 3
A creative or unique Character, Style, Move and / or Concept
POOR = 2
Generic or universal moves flipped or rearranged in some creative order
NONE = 1
All generic or universal styles and moves presented
Credit and Research For the Originality Standards
The standards of Cypher/Battle is the collection of the various (sometimes contradicting) values, philosophies, approaches and knowledge of the B-Boy Cypher/Battle perspective from the various cypher strategic Pioneers, Legends and OG’s such as:
Dyzee, Kujo, Roxrite, Benji, Style Elements